Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chimera shot, understading the tooltip

My hunter finally got to 60, so now I have a new shot! Hurray! More shots! (after dinging 60 and learning all I had to learn from the trainer, I had to spend literally 20 minutes reworking  my entire UI >.< so many damn buttons! Sometimes I miss facerolling playing my Pally)

The thing with this particular new shot, is that I really didn't understand the whole tooltip, so lets see what it says:

You deal 125% weapon damage, refreshing the current Sting on your target and triggering an effect:

Serpent Sting - Instantly deals 40% of the damage done by your Serpent Sting.

Viper Sting - Instantly restores mana to you equal to 60% of the total amount drained by your Viper Sting.

Scorpid Sting - Attempts to Disarm the target for 10 sec. This effect cannot occur more than once per 1 minute.
So, the first part is pretty straight forward, 125% of your white damage is being done, what it doesn't say (and I don't know why), is that this damage is actually Nature damage, so it ignores our enemy's armor unless our target's got some kind of nature resists buff on him.

Ok, so far so good.., it does extra damage (in the form of magical damage) and it also refreshes the duration of your sting (meaning that if you pay attention, you won't have to recast your sting on that target during the whole fight!).

Now, on to the effect:

The ones that concerned me the most, where the first two, since I never use Scorpid Sting. My main concern was: when exactly did I have to cast my shot to maximize the damage or benefit of the particular effect?
And the answer was actually simplier than I though: As soon as the shot is off cooldown.

But wait, what if the serpent sting just ticked 3 times?.. it still have more ticks to do, which logically would mean more damage done and that 40% should increase, right? RIGHT?

Well, no, your problem is that your miss interpreting the wording on the tooltip, the truth behind chimera shot, is that when it hits the target, the effect does a 40% (in the case of serpent sting) of the total damage it would do. So, when you cast chimera, it doesn't matter where the clock of the sting is right now, the effect triggered is going to be always the same! That's excelent news!

Note that the same thing happens when Viper Sting is on the target, you get 60% of the total mana the sting would drain.

So, how do I increase the damage it does? 
Well, since it is nature damage, ArPen won't do you much help. What you should be looking into, is for instance, the Serpent Sting Glyph. That glyph increases the damage done by the sting, so effectibly you're increasing the damage done by the shot! Must have for every MM hunter.

What else?
Well, right now, the other  things I can think about, that would actually increase the damage of your chimera shot, are the following talents (which you should've already picked up btw):
Those talents will increase, directly or indirectly the damage you do with your chimera shot, so you should make sure to take them on your wait to 60! :)

Once I understood all this, my DPS in 5 man dungeons actually increased, and now chimera shot is an important part of my DPS (according to recount), which at first wasn't.

Hopefully, this little review is going to be as helpfull to other new MM hunters as it was for me.

Catcha around!

0 comments:

Post a Comment